Platinum Violette

Okay…this one is for the Silkstone lovers.   I could not let this diorama go without putting one of my favorite Silkstones within its shabby chic yumminess.  Robert Best’s “Violette”, in my opinion, is one of the most feminine doll designs of his career at Mattel.  She embodies gentility and spring to me.  Perhaps it’s the lilac print on her gown, the large flowing design or the flowers in her hair…I don’t know…but put it all together and I feel the pull of springtime.  It’s just so girly!  She is also a platinum edition Silkstone which means she is not photographed often.

I have to give credit to my daughter Megan for this one.  She took one look at the diorama I was working on and said “ Mom, you should put the doll in the purple gown in this one”.  She was right!

20130427-IMG_0781-Editwmsized

20130426-IMG_0738-Editwmsized

20130426-IMG_0749-Editwmsized

20130426-IMG_0745-Editwmsized20130427-IMG_0771-Editwmsized20130426-IMG_0756-Editwmsized

20130427-IMG_0788-Editwmsized

20130427-IMG_0807-Editwmsized20130427-IMG_0798-Editwmsized20130427-IMG_0802-Editwmsized

20130427-IMG_0777-Editwmsized

20130427-IMG_0789-Editwmsized20130427-IMG_0799-Editwmsized20130427-IMG_0790-Editwmsized

What the set up looks like when I have to pull the big lights out.  It’s a much more involved shoot…which is why you may see this diorama for a while. Smile

IMG_2565

1. **sigh**. Heaven. Violette is at the top of my grail list now that I have In the Pink. Props to Miss Megan for her choice ; )

April 28, 2013 at 2:05 pm

• Well…Miss Violette is in fact…purple. Would Miss Megan have suggested anything else…I ask you? She, of course, is feeling all superior now and wants royalties in the event it goes on to make money LOL!

April 28, 2013 at 3:47 pm

2. Gorgeous !!! but now I have a problem. Violette was never on my must have list. But nu she is in the top 3…. And we all now how difficult this is 😉 Mattel hasto change their Violette picture for this one.

April 28, 2013 at 2:07 pm

• You are too sweet Rogier! You have a remarkable ability for finding “hard to find” Silkstones so I have no doubt you will find this one too. 🙂

April 28, 2013 at 3:48 pm

3. Love, love, love … Violette is one of my favorites also! But then, purple is my fave color and this diorama is divine! Thank you! 🙂

April 28, 2013 at 2:10 pm

• You and my daughter are the supreme ambassadors of purple. 🙂 Thank you for the lovely comment Judy. I am glad you enjoyed this one. It was fun to make.

April 28, 2013 at 3:49 pm

4. I’ve asked if you are a pro photog. I would love to know yr history. That’s a bit of gear! You must live in a sizable home. Yay for you. Wow … I wanna come back as you in my next life, ok? Except I’d market these as ltd edition prints w/a pro ecommerce site. But then, how many hours are in day? I ‘get’ that. We set our priorities. As always, very appreciative for all you do!

April 28, 2013 at 3:25 pm

• I am always kind of cagey when someone asks me this question “Are you a professional photographer?” Do I make money at it? Yes….but I don’t consider myself a photographer. I consider myself a student who takes photos. Does that make sense? I guess if I SAY I am a photographer, then expectations are set high and I have to be grown up about it. LOL! I would much rather say, in this collector arena, “I just like to take pictures”. I know…..I need therapy. {Snort!}

April 28, 2013 at 3:53 pm

5. Nylonbleu

How do you say it in the US ??? Droooling….. Yes, I think it is right, I’m droooling !!! that is a real grail , and it can be understand why !!! thank for the pics of her !!!

April 29, 2013 at 4:58 am

• Thank you so much Isabelle! I always love to photograph the rare ladies. They don’t get photographed that often.

May 8, 2013 at 7:48 am

6. Amazing set of pictures! This lady is really beautiful an her gown is to die for! You can almost smell lilac blossoms on her dress 🙂 I made another set of pictures on this theme – but they look quite different from yours – kind of cottage backyard scene … I used Pullip as a model, she is cute and girlie and she looks like someone who might actually dig her hands in the soil 🙂 I can’t imagine your sophisticated ladies doing anything like that 🙂 They are more like waiting for a romantic (maybe secret?) date at the conservatory 🙂

April 30, 2013 at 4:52 am

• I just went over to your flickr to see the new garden photos. DROP DEAD GORGEOUS! You are so amazing. Yes…this lady is definitely not getting her hands in the dirt with that dress on. I agree with you. She seems to be waiting for someone in the conservatory 😉

May 8, 2013 at 7:50 am

7. Anyone know if Violette was inspired by Scarlette — as in Miss Scarlette, the popular character played by Vivien Leigh in the film version of Gone With the Wind? We’re these types of dresses worn in that era, or were they worn more recently?

May 2, 2013 at 9:38 pm

• I have no idea what Mr. Best’s inspiration with this one was but it is a most excellent question. 🙂 The print on the gown is very reminiscent of Scarlett’s green garden party gown. The cut and style of the Violette gown is a bit more modern than the civil war era hoop skirts but it certainly brings that era to mind.

May 8, 2013 at 7:52 am

8. I love your behind the scene photos. I noticed that you had some of your dolls in a white box. What is that?

February 24, 2014 at 7:56 pm

9. Violette's Mum

I could not agree with you more. This doll personally holds a very special place with myself as her name is spelt the exact same way as my daughter Violette. Not only that my daughter was born in April of 2005 she has beautiful brown hair and gorgeous blue eyes with fair skin. Funnily enough she was always dressed in shades of purple and had a very similar dress (when she was a baby) to what the doll is wearing.

I wish I could contact Robert Best to get a signed picture for my daughter as she is now 10 and owns one of these beautiful dolls and collects anything that has what she calls ‘her barbie’ on it.

May 9, 2015 at 6:44 pm