The Kardashian sisters as Barbies? Say it ain’t so!

Okay….let’s preface this by saying there has been NO OFFICIAL WORD from Mattel on whether or not this is true.  This could indeed just be some sort of PR test balloon Mattel is sending up to see what kind of market is out there for this.  Just the thought of it though is enough to get my undies in a bunch (and believe me folks….that just doesn’t happen every day! LOL!).  Normally I put myself in the very liberal category when it comes to doll design.  I mean when Toki Doki Barbie came out, I was just fine with the pink hair, tattoos and the leopard leggings.  It was a fashion statement and, in my opinion, did not constitute a negative reflection on the image of Barbie as a whole.  This, however, is different.

If this rumor is true and Mattel has partnered with this reality TV family of questionable morals (hey folks…I’m not making a judgment…it’s all out there for you to see every week if you are so inclined…I’m not), I think it will definitely put a serious dent in Barbie’s image.  I realize that the wording out there says that these dolls will be imaged as “Barbie’s friends” and not Barbie herself.  I even have a problem with that because frankly…these are girls I would not want my daughter hanging with. I don’t want my Barbie hanging with them either.  It’s such a puzzle to me because I can think of a many, many other  more suitable options for “Barbie’s friends’ than these profanity-slinging, sex-tape-starring, marrying-a-guy-as-a-publicity-stunt-then-divorcing-him-a-month-later kind of people. Is this really where doll design at Mattel is going for inspiration? The dank and sordid halls of reality TV? Just the thought makes me want to wash my hands….EWWWWWW!  It leaves me with the question….will we also be seeing Lindsay Lohan rehab #4 Barbie or a Charlie Sheen “I am a god” Ken?  Sorry Mattel…you have me scratching my head on this one.  Please tell us all that it is not true.

….and now back to our regularly scheduled content….Rebecca Rant is over….for now.

1. Vince

Well they did do a Lindsay Lohan Barbie with the My Sceen Barbie doll and they had a little movie set play you could get, I beleve it was a limited edition doll. The Kardashian just really kind of sleazy and LOL don’t want them or Lidsay hanging out with my Barbies either.

January 4, 2012 at 11:46 pm

• Well maybe we all can give a sigh of relief that Lindsay was already done “pre rehab” LOL! Thanks for commenting. This topic is certainly a conversation starter and I am enjoying reading peoples opinions.

January 5, 2012 at 10:52 am

2. Tery

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

January 5, 2012 at 2:10 am

• 😉 You are very welcome.

January 5, 2012 at 10:52 am

3. Well Barbie does have a hollow head and is made of plastic….I don’t mind this so much. The Kardashians are at least pretty to look at. Maybe we can use our imaginations and remake them into intelligent, charitable, kind, modest girls. hahah!

January 5, 2012 at 7:00 am

• Thank you for the comment Danielle! With all the kings horses and all the kings men…I still don’t think they could put this one together again….if it is ever released. 😉

January 5, 2012 at 10:53 am

4. Loathe the Kardashians, love your rant!

January 5, 2012 at 7:30 am

• Heehee! Knew you would back me up sistah. {Hugs}

January 5, 2012 at 10:54 am

5. Barbie is to classy to be associated with type of people! I think the mother is the worse of the bunch. As they say the apples didn’t fall far from the tree. All the females in this family are pretty disgusting & daddy Bruce is just as bad. I will be disappointed in Mattel if they do come out with these dolls. I know I will not be selling them!!!

January 5, 2012 at 9:10 am

• Here here Ralph! Make your consumer decision and boycott. That is what I will do as well if these dolls see the light of day.

January 5, 2012 at 10:55 am

6. Deanna

I have never and most likely never will be interested in celebrity dolls, so I wouldn’t buy them any way. But Rebecca, much like yourself, I think Mattel should reconsider their choice, if in fact there is truth to the rumor. Yes, dolls made in to their likelihood would just be plastic little statues, but I don’t support the idea of contributing further to the pocketbooks of three of the most untalented women on TV. I would never want my daughters to look at these dolls on a shelf and arrive at the decision that by promoting and marketing poor behavior in life, they too can one day be rewarded by being eternally plasticized as a friend of Barbie. Seriously? That has to be one of the most idiodic ideas ever.

January 5, 2012 at 10:01 am

• High Five Deanna! Exactly. It’s the thought that in some way this is contributing to positively reinforcing really, really bad bahavior that gets me so steamed. As parents, we work very hard to instill a good sense of right and wrong in our children. I know that many will argue over exactly what is “right and wrong”. In my opinion, this group of people’s behavior continually define “wrong” behavior and I don’t want to emulate, personify, dignify,hold up or reinforce it in any way. Modeling a doll after it just seems wrong on so many different levels. What is Mattel thinking? Is the payoff going to be worth the price on this one? I don’t think so. This is of course…if any of this is true….and we really don’t know if it is. Looks like I’m still ranting LOL!

January 5, 2012 at 11:05 am

7. Susan

Well, If Mattel actually uses a more voluptous body sculpt there will be some re-bodying opportunities. (I shudder to think that any Kardashian is considered a ‘role model.’) Perhaps this is a horrible addition to the Barbie career line…architect, computer programer and no-talent reality star. 😛

January 14, 2012 at 7:14 am

• LOL! Again…please say it ain’t so!! I can’t even begin to express my disbelief over this. I mean…you work on a brand for over 50 years and then do this? Does not compute.

January 14, 2012 at 11:50 am

8. Amen & thank you to what Susan said about a no-talent reality star. I never saw the big deal about these girls. I’m so SICK of hearing about them! So to the media, stop it!

January 14, 2012 at 11:28 am