Barbie’s Malibu Dream House up for sale!
Say it aint so!! Is Barbie in financial difficulty?! According to Mattel, Barbie sales declined 4% in the 4th quarter marking the third strait quarterly decline in 2012 (source). Mattel has announced that there will be a new Barbie abode for 2013. Now…why am I spouting financials on this otherwise fun and oft times irreverent doll blog? Because I want to talk about the listing. YES! In a fresh PR move by Mattel, there is an honest to goodness listing for Barbie’s Malibu Dream House.
** Photo is courtesy of Mattel**
** Listing is courtesy of Trulia, **
Let’s take a look shall we:
1) $25 Million! Wow! Well…it is Malibu and it is beach front. That three wall thing could be a problem though.
2) I don’t know about you guys but…for that price, I would need more than one bedroom and 1 bath.
3) 8,500 sqft. Is that in Hobbit alter dimensional measurement? How come it only takes up three feet in my play room?
4) Diamond encrusted accents?! Okay…that explains the $25 million price tag.
5) Barbie signature silo head???? I thought I had heard every Barbie related term…apparently not. What is it?
6) Sorry…I love pink but…the pink granite countertops would be a deal breaker for me.
I have to give it to Mattel. This one is just plain fun!
For me, the dealbreaker would be the fireplace that crackles even when it’s not on. What’s up with that!!! I wonder if their next listing will be for the pink private jet. Can you just imagine what its amenities would be??
February 8, 2013 at 9:27 am
I know right?! Sounds dangerous. So far…no news on the pink jet. 🙂
February 8, 2013 at 10:42 am
If Mattel is truly interested in increasing Barbie sales, maybe the company should dump the pink theme and pay more attention to the adults who buy both the collectible AND playline Barbie dolls & accessories. As for the tongue-in-cheek real estate listing, somehow I don’t think parents who are struggling to pay the mortgage on their real house will find it all that amusing.
February 8, 2013 at 10:41 am
As an adult collector, I see your point. Unfortunatley, the adult collector line is not Mattel’s big money maker and won’t be their main focus if they need to revamp their business plan. As a parent struggling to pay that mortage on my real house, I appreciated the humor of the listing. The daily news reminds me often of things not so humorous.
February 8, 2013 at 10:50 am
This is a riot – thanks for sharing!!!!!!!
February 8, 2013 at 2:30 pm