Afternoon Suit Silkstone–Dior’s “New Look” reimagined in 1/6 scale

The year was 1947 and a new designer Christian Dior seemed to be thumbing his nose at the still lingering austerity measures of post WWII and put yards and yards of fabric into the silhouettes of his “New Look”.  If you look it up in the dictionary, the “New Look” was defined by a narrow waist and full pleated skirt.  If you are a fan of fashion at all, you have seen this iconic photo.

the new look 1947

Or have seen it on display at a museum…..

4492622225_9c7956d72c_z

43-dior-haute-couture-fall-winter-2009-15Christian Dior Paris Fashion Week Haute Couture da0d5xHekoJl

John Galliano paid homage to the house that employed him and reimagined this famous look for Dior in his Fall/Winter 2009 Haute Couture Collection.

It is a completely timeless look and it would not surprise me if  Robert Best was inspired by it for his Atelier Silkstone collection.

431398_10150770923934466_57884444465_12218629_1634962424_n

***Photo is property of Mattel, Inc.***

Model:  Afternoon Suit Silkstone Barbie

Edition size: No more than 4300 Worldwide

Gold label and BFC exclusive…you must be a member to get this lovely lady.

Mannequin: BFC gift with 2012 membership

Backdrop:  Made by the lovely Sheree ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fabulous-White-Silkstone-Photo-Display-OOAK-Set-LAST-ONE-FOR-NOW-/170800865221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c4865fc5)

20120317-IMG_8446-EditwmsizedYou can even backlight the backdrop…cool effect!

20120317-IMG_8440-Editwmsized  20120317-IMG_8441-Editwmsized

20120317-IMG_8458-Editwmsized

20120317-IMG_8472-Editwmsized

20120317-IMG_8497-Editwmsized 20120317-IMG_8485-Editwmsized

20120317-IMG_8491-Editwmsized 20120317-IMG_8488-Editwmsized

1. Just beautiful, Rebecca – I love seeing the historical (and recent) fashion inspirations! And great work Sheree!!!!!!

March 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm

• Isn’t that background by Sheree devine! Thank you so much Peter. I’m glad you enjoyed the little bit of history. It was such a pivotal time in fashion when this “new look” came out. It was impossible not to talk about it LOL!

March 24, 2012 at 6:47 am

2. Deb

Your photographs are beautiful, however I am on the fence about this doll.
    There is something that is just “off” about her.

March 19, 2012 at 6:45 am

• Thank you so much Deb! The doll is not my absolute favorite as well but I think the outfit makes up for any misgivings I had for the lady. I can definitely see your point though. 😉

March 24, 2012 at 6:49 am

3. Don in Seattle

Deb, I agree. Rebecca’s photos are awesome. Gorgeous ensemble, but those ,what I would call fish eyes, distract from the doll and the outfit. I would love to find just the outfit as I think it will be gorgeous on other Silkstones.

As Always beautiful work Rebecca.

Don in Seattle

March 19, 2012 at 8:09 am

• Awwww! Thank you so much Don. I am glad you enjoy my photos. LOL ” fish eyes” ! But…. you do have a point. The eyes have a very dramatic eye liner and I can see how that would be off putting. I completely agree in that the outfit will be worn by many different models in my house. Hope you find the outfit for your collection.

March 24, 2012 at 6:51 am

4. mariajoramirez@hotmail.com

The one of the hat is soooooooo gorgeous!!!!

March 22, 2012 at 7:10 pm

• Thank you so much! I am glad you enjoyed it.

March 24, 2012 at 6:52 am

5. Genie Magic7

Absolutely Lovely! I have a doll in mind also! The suit is great!

April 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm

• Thank you! I love this suit and I am sure it will be worn by at least a couple different dolls in my collection. 😉

April 13, 2012 at 9:41 pm