Cupid’s Kisses has Arrived…

…And her hair is the big story.  I won’t lie to you folks…it’s a bit of a fixer upper.   Let me start by saying, her box is cute.  It is streamlined and classic.  I like it.

WP_20140127_001

Here is Ms. C.Kisses in her box.  Pardon the crappy cell phone pictures…they were all I could manage whens she arrived.

WP_20140127_003

WP_20140127_002

And here was mine and pretty much everyone else’s question….where is the cute little curl that goes on her forehead??  Here is the promo shot

BCR06_c_14_M

No need to panic folks.  The curl is there..you just have to coax it down a bit.

She comes with some adorable accessories

The dress is adequate though I have to be honest…I did not buy her for this dress.  I have other fashions in mind for her.  It is not Silkstone quality but it works well on her.  There is a Velcro closure in the back so there is some room to make the fit better if it isn’t working on your doll.  I think the velvet embossing on the dress is cute and appears to be applied correctly.  The hair though…was some work.  The ponytail does not have a hard curl at the end .  Therein lies part of the problem.   Mine came out of the box looking  a bit like someone took a pair of scissors to the end of the ponytail.  I will put a better curl in it when I have some time to hard set it.  For now, I am content with getting the curl to come down on her forehead.  Want to see how I did it?  I figured….so I included pictures

Smile

The handy dandy pin trick!  I keep these small silk or applique pins in my deboxing kit.  They can solve a whole manner of hat and hair dilemmas.

Push the curl down on the forehead to where you would like it.  Hold it down and insert a pin.  Make sure you are putting the pin into hair and not into the dolls forehead ( that would be bad…especially if you want to move the hair off the forehead later…you would have a lobotomy scar to deal with and nobody wants that LOL).  You can try weaving the pin in and out a little so it is catching different pieces of hair as it goes in.  It will hold better this way.  Be gentle with handling the hair on this one.  It gets messy very easily so don’t overwork it.

Push the pin in.  On a vinyl head it is so easy.  You can do it with your finger.  DON’T try this on a Silkstone.  You will end up with a hole in your finger {ouch!}.  You need a thimble for Silkstone heads.

You can leave it like this if you want.  You can barely see the pin unless you are looking straight down at the curl.  I photograph from different angles and since I try to avoid photoshopping when I can, I just ever so slightly move the hair over the pin so it is invisible.

IMG_4008

Easy peasy right?!

About these ads

1. Pam

Congrats on your CK and nice job on the tutorial ;) I’m still waiting on mine to make it up north. I’m excited, yet dreading her arrival at the same time, wondering what her hair will look like. And of course I’m bummed about the Velcro. It’s such a shame they use that stuff on dolls.
    Enjoy your new lady and I can’t wait to see what you dress her in!!

January 31, 2014 at 11:47 am

• Thank you so much Pam. I hope you receive yours soon and I hope her hair is easily managed. :-)

February 3, 2014 at 11:37 am

• Ana

I love your dioramas. I started my own collection and was wondering back in your October blog you mentioned that you started a fine doll furniture business. The white with pink upholstery sofa is to die for and I would love it for my doll room. when will the furniture be available to purchase?

February 11, 2014 at 1:52 pm

• Hi Ana,

This is a most excellent question and very timely. I am in the process of getting the furniture business set up and ready to start selling. I will announce it first on the blog so if you are signed up to receive emails with each new post, you will receive notification when the furniture is ready to purchase. I am anticipating opening for business in March. :-)

February 12, 2014 at 6:14 pm

2. Hi,my CK arrived last week. Her hair was a hot mess, to say the least. I called up Barbie Collectibles and told them about the hair issue. They were nice and told me to return it and that another would be sent once this one arrived. I’ve seen other CKs on e-Bay. I think the hair is going to be a big issue for a lot of collectors.

January 31, 2014 at 11:56 am

• You are very lucky that BC customer service agreed to send another to you. Typically on club dolls, they do not allow exchanges so I am glad they are doing that for you. Hopefully your new one will have better behaved hair. :-)

Yes, the hair is definitely becoming an issue on this doll.

February 3, 2014 at 11:38 am

3. Deborah

I always look forward to your review of a doll. I think I got very lucky and the curl is the only thing I had to fix. It was so stiff that all I did is gently push it down onto her forehead and it stayed. The Kiss Curl was so cute in the promo, I wonder why they decided to do it as a flip to the back wave? The face on mine is fabulous and once I deboxed her, the ponytail ends did fine. I don’t know why the hair varies doll.
    Good think I don’t mind a little fixer upper…because on her Showcase page it states that refunds and no exchanges on this doll.

January 31, 2014 at 1:53 pm

• I am so glad you received a good one Deborah! I suspect that the Kiss Curl was not intended to be so far back but factories will do what factories will do and if that is how it ends up…that is what we get. I am glad this one seems to be easily fixed though.

February 3, 2014 at 11:40 am

4. Thanks for showing us pin fix!!! Mine looks like yours, and when I opened it, all I could do is close the box once I saw her hair!!! I purchased her because I liked the Kiss Curl, and I should not have to do what you did to fix it!! Nor do I appreciate the Velcro – come on Mattel!! On a $75 doll – seriously???? I would like to return it, but they won’t give refunds, so I guess I’ll make do.

January 31, 2014 at 2:49 pm

• I hear your frustration Barb. I agree…for $75 one would expect a certain amount of detail and hair that does not have to be “fixed” We will have to see what the year holds in the BFC.

February 3, 2014 at 11:41 am

5. Congratulations! I still don’t know if I’m going to order her… The hair issue keeps me undecided

January 31, 2014 at 11:42 pm

• I don’t blame you for taking your time to decide on this one. If I had known about the inconsistent hair issues before I ordered, I would be nervous too.

February 3, 2014 at 11:42 am

6. I have been awaiting your pics and review of this lovely lady. Her promo pic tempted me as a Silkie newb that’s been waiting for a raven-haired doll to add to my collection. Her dress is too simple and seen before and I agree with everyone else that the kiss curl was a big selling point for me and shouldn’t require a Tim Gunn-like technique to “Make it work.” It is fabulous that you presented the hair solve, but unfortunately I have decided to pass on her :(.

January 31, 2014 at 11:49 pm

• That sounds like a fair and well thought out decision on your part. :-) She is a vinyl and not a Silkstone so if you are trying to stick with just Silkstone’s, you have satisfied that rule. :-)

February 3, 2014 at 11:44 am

7. mole

Does her $75 price worth? If she is silkstone I think yes! I think $49 is a perfect price for her,although she look expensive with her box!

February 1, 2014 at 2:19 pm

• That is a very good and fair question. Is this doll worth $75? If she were a Silkstone, perhaps but as a vinyl with hair issues….perhaps not. The box was a pleasant surprise though :-)

February 3, 2014 at 11:45 am

8. Beautiful!

February 2, 2014 at 1:36 am

9. pattidolls

Geeze, even your nails are perfect! Doll looks good but I didn’t get her.

February 2, 2014 at 10:01 am

• LOL! You are too kind. It helps when you get a manicure the day of a photoshoot….{note to self….get a manicure before all photo shoots } :-)

February 3, 2014 at 11:46 am

10. Rebecca, can you pls clue is in re how you style her hair, to fix the curl? I don’t collect like you all do, but bought old Barbies. And heads. I’ve combed, cut, thinned, and curled using the smallest perm rollers I could buy, plus those tissues ppl use when wrapping the hair on the roller. I also bought some setting lotion at Sally’s Beauty in my hood. My hair is naturally curly, so I know nothing abut hair styling on ppl or dolls.

I’ve used punk colors on their hair in the past (which I have used on my hair, starting when I photographed punk in the 70s). I painted shocking pink to my Barbie aka Tara Lipinski Olympic skating doll back in the 90s. The color faded, but her forehead turned pink after time. Oops. But I wouldn’t think twice about doing it again on the tips on blondes.

No, I don’t sell revamped dolls. I do this for my own fun. When I have time.

Anyway, any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Small silk or applique pins? I’ll look for them at Joann’s next time I hike there.

Thanks for your generosity sharing tips! Plus honest feedback. I love reading your posts, as well as admiring yr photos.

February 2, 2014 at 5:21 pm

• Thank you so much Jenny! I believe I did give an explanation of how I fixed this particular problem on this particular doll. I will try to offer further tutorials as time allows in the future. unfortunately, I am busy with blasted pointe shoes and ballet photos at present but I look forward to putting more time into the blog soon. Glad you are enjoying the posts!

February 3, 2014 at 11:49 am

• Yes, you told us how you fixed her forehead curl. But not her ponytail. “The ponytail does not have a hard curl at the end . Therein lies part of the problem. Mine came out of the box looking a bit like someone took a pair of scissors to the end of the ponytail. I will put a better curl in it when I have some time to hard set it.” Just wondering about that: “hard set it [ponytail curl].” Thanks and have fun at the ballet! ;-)

February 4, 2014 at 3:27 pm

11. kaboobie71

I want to clarify for a few commenters that this is not a Silkstone doll. It is a vinyl doll with the Nostalgic face sculpt.

February 3, 2014 at 11:20 am

• Thank you! Yes, for all who are questioning this….this is a VINYL doll and NOT a Silkstone.

February 3, 2014 at 11:49 am

12. Pingback: Happy Valentine | Dutch Barbie World

13. poetc7

Great tip for the curl! Thank YOU!

March 16, 2014 at 2:14 pm